Sunday, June 24, 2012

the weather finger

dear readers.

i would like to tell you the story of my weather finger because it is currently killing me.

it's a little story that goes like this:

once upon a time, sydney and her two friends, chloe and sasha, were in charge of decorations for the homecoming dance their senior year of high school. we had gathered old dance decorations together and loaded them into the back of sasha's blue prius, where they stayed in the sweltering 100 degree weather for about three days. on friday during our leadership class, we got the bags out of the car and began to sort through them on the lawn outside of the classroom. we were confused as we looked through the decorations because they smelled like pee. it didn't make sense. at least, not until we found the family of mice. we pulled some gossamer out of one of the trash bags and suddenly a little family of mice (who had survived in sasha's car in 100 degrees for three days?!) fell out and were all around my feet. there was much screaming, as i remember, and mice darting in all directions. chloe, in a valiant effort to save me from said family of mice, grabbed my left hand to pull me away. but she only grabbed my index finger. i felt no snap, heard no cracks, i just knew something bad had happened. but i put off looking at my finger until later. one of the mice had run into the classroom, wreaking havoc. of course i had to help find it. but...at that point, i wasn't really able to because all i knew was that my finger was not so happy and neither was i. i refused to look at it until the mouse was located. once it was, i looked down and saw that my finger was about 12 times its normal size...and turning pretty shades of green and purple. and i remember thinking "well, that one's broken." so i got an ice pack from the front office, called my mom, and we went to the hospital. my xrays revealed that my knuckle was indeed broken, in fact, a small piece of it had chipped right off. it healed back, don't worry. now i have a funny little bump on my knuckle. and it aches whenever there is a storm coming. that's not so bad, though, because now i have my very own weather finger.

except sometimes it's faulty and i'm not sure if there's a storm coming or it's just being silly.

so look out, all you california people. a storm may or may not be coming in the near future 
(but my iphone tells me there isn't).

1 comment:

  1. Guess what? I know someone here that has a weather elbow and another one that has a weather finger too! You are not alone! I guess just the change in pressure that comes from a storm affects it, since you had broken it before. I don't really know. But I thought it was funny. That is all.

    ReplyDelete